E-commerce is increasingly being accepted as one of cut flower market channels. For a long time only specialised florists and unspecialised retail existed. Every florist should consider E-commerce as a cut flower market channels
Traditional florists still dominate the retail distribution of flowers. But Purchasing online has become ingrained.
Lets Digest the Case for E-commerce as a cut flower market channels
The cut flower market has for a long time consisted of two market channels: one focusing on specialised florists (florists, markets stalls and kiosks, garden centres) and other outlets and the other on unspecialised retail (e.g. supermarkets, filling stations, and other retail outlets).
But E-commerce is increasingly being accepted and online sales throughout the chain are important developments that are reshaping the market channels.
The cut flower market channels is discussed in Detail in: Fresh Flower Wholesale Exporters and Distributors – Market channels and segments Cut Flowers and Foliage in Europe
Purchasing online is becoming ingrained.
Traditional florists still dominate the retail distribution of flowers. The classic consumer habit of just dropping by the florist to buy flowers before visiting someone is changing. Purchasing online has become ingrained. Its true that by investing in the necessary software and changes in business processes online trading can be a big part of a florist or flower wholesaler marketing strategy
Cut flower market channels of Distribution
- Traditional–“bulk” product (35%) Broker/ Importer – Wholesaler Florist chains – Retailers – Florist shops
- Present–consumer ready products (65%) – Broker/ importer Direct sales to mass marketers – supermarkets, garden centers, home centers.Internet(on line sales)
E-commerce as a cut flower market channels For a Florist Means having a Website and Social Media
70% percent of people go online to find a local florist and a Research by Deloitte’s analysis in Connected Small Businesses; found that digitally advanced small businesses:
- Earned two times as much revenue per employee
- Experienced revenue growth over the previous year that was nearly four times as high
- Were almost three times as likely to be creating jobs over the previous year
- Had an average employment growth rate that was more than six times as high
Consumption Patterns for a florist to consider
- Purchases of flowers that are not in (florist) arrangements have increased significantly.
- Supermarket purchases have increased substantially in the last decade. Florist shops still denote reputation, reliability, product quality and convenience (possibility of sending flowers).
- Convenience and price influence internet and supermarket purchases
- E-commerce and branding are increasing
- Awareness about origin of products. Interest to learn about specific flowers